Sunday, August 25, 2013

Why the Boxweiler? Introduction to the breed.

The chances are that, if you've navigated to this page, you have either already heard the word "boxweiler" or have / had one.  Unfortunately, search results are rarely very consistent when finding out what a boxweiler actually is supposed to look like.  People or places like animal shelters will label a dog a boxweiler even when there are other dogs mixed in that prevent it from being a true boxweiler.

So, to clear things up, a boxweiler is a hybrid (a dog whose parents, while from different breeds, are both pure-bred dogs).  As the name implies, one of the pup's parents is (idealy) a male rottweiler and the other a female boxer.  While the gender of the parents may not seem to make a big deal, it can affect size and shape of the dog much in the way that a liger is different from a tigon (both the result of a lion and tiger, but size and fur pattern vary depending on which parent was which).

In much the way of a labradoodle, chorkie, or puggle, the breed is slowly becoming well known because it takes the best traits of both the boxer and rottweiler--in health and personality--and combines to make a great family dog with a long life expectancy.  Both the rottie and boxer are already magnificent dogs, which is a large part of the charm of owning a boxweiler. 

This blog will be dedicated to defining boxweilers through photos, videos, and description to help set a breed standard and help people become more familiar with the breed pluses, minuses, and just plain ole good-to-know dog owner tips.

This site is dedicated in the memory of our own Boxweiler, Scarlett, who died at the age of fifteen.  She was from a "surprise litter" when a boxer breeder's pet rottie made friends with her female boxer.  Scarlett was a great blessing to our family and we miss her very much.

Scarlett, age 9-10 months

Note: Correct spelling is "boxweiler" with the e before the i, because unlike the rule ( "i before e except after c" ), "Rottweiler" is a German word and the e comes before the i

16 comments:

  1. We really like your blog! We have a beautiful girl finley,she looks quite a bit like scarlet did.We re actaully thinking of selectively finding someone else with a healthy boxweiler male to produce a litter ,She has such an amazing personality and has turned into quite a head turner,we have not found any other bweilers in our area to date and so we'd even considered doing a artifical insemenation frozen from a donor else where if we found the right male to work with,So just putting a shout out there if anyone has a beauitful boy to make puppies with our girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the late reply. They really are lovely dogs with amazing personalities. Unfortunately, after Scarlet passed away, we were looking for another, but they are indeed very rare to find.

      Delete
  2. I have a gorgeous 16 month male boxweiler. Are you still hoping to breed your female? Not sure how a breeding between two hybrids would work out for the pups, but am definitely interested in chatting -- these amazing dogs are indeed tough to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking into getting a Boxweiler but am having trouble finding a breeder. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey
      If you want one I would be glad to give you one. I have a girl and a boy.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for all the information. I rescued a Rottweiler who impregnated (unexpectedly) my boxer. We just had a litter. They are mostly girls. If you would like one please reach out to me. I'm in Louisiana now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just want to say nice blog and very true boxweiler are great dogs just like other hybrid dogs. XoXo

    Cathy
    Labradoodle puppies for sale in melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a boxweiler at home and he is just amazing...He is 7months and he is so caring.
    I wonder how I can post his photo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Can anyone let me know where I can get a Boxweiler puppy. My girl is almost 13 years old and I would love to have another one. Please help. I'm in Colorado. These dogs are so smart and loyal. I can't believe more people aren't breeding them. My phone number is 502-345-6464

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend has many pups here. I can send you one.

      Delete
  8. Funny story, I went for a vacation and had to leave my doberman at a Dog Hotel. When I came back the owner of the hotel had a few pups running around. They looked a lot like Boxers, but also Rott's. I asked him and he said his dogs had an accidental pregnancy and now he is stuck with these pups that no one wants. So, being a dog lover I took one home. He is a good addition to our family and our 8 month old Doberman loved him and he loves him also. They are inseparable. Thanks for the info. It was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kunal Dass,does your friend still have puppies? We are in IL and miss our Dozer still, 3 years after he passed. Please let me know at cathreeno@yahoo.com. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. When my girlfriend and I first got our rex, I was concerned knowing the protectiveNess of both breeds and how he would interact around people and specially small children. We did no research which looking back we should have but almost 11 monthes later I could not be any happier to have picked him. He has brought joy to us both and had more than our share of laughs with him. Every person in our neighborhood adores him and the children all run to him to pet him and give him treats. When the time comes for us to get another dog, when his time comes or we get a bigger place, we will be sure to get another boxweiler

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a litter of 7. 6 boys and 1 girl. all brindle, white chests and white toes. located in MN

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vreau si eu unul dar sunt din bucuresti daca est vrun roman pe aici si are an bucuresti un boxwailer pui sa mă sune 0721788070

    ReplyDelete